Smoked candied bacon is one of my favorite dishes! The sweetness of the bacon with the smoky flavor is amazing!
- 1 pound of bacon
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the bacon into 1-inch strips and place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the brown sugar, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper to the bowl and stir until the bacon is evenly coated with the spices.
4. Spread out the bacon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
5. Bake the bacon for 15-20 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until it is crispy and browned to your liking.
6. Serve the smoked candied bacon immediately, as a topping on salads or alongside other dishes, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Enjoy!
How to Make Smoked Candied Bacon
You can make the best smoked candied bacon by choosing the right type of bacon. As your base, I recommend using thick bacon. Although you can use peppered or maple bacon, I prefer my own seasonings so I stick with classic apple or hickory-smoked bacon.
Lay your bacon strips in one layer on an elevated flat rack ( similar to this) placed over a foil-lined cookie sheet. The bacon will be rendered and drained from the elevated rack so that it doesn’t get too saturated. Also, the bacon won’t burn onto the foil with all the caramelizing sugars.
Maple syrup is both a flavor ingredient and a binder. After brushing it all over my bacon, I add brown sugar and my Sweet Rub. You can make your own or purchase a bottle from our store.
Sweet rub adds layers of classic BBQ flavors like garlic powder, smoked bacon candy paprika, and more. The bacon should not be too spicy or savory. However, it should still keep the flavor interesting.
My candied bacon is cooked at 275°F in my smoker. Applewood is my favorite wood for cooking with bacon. This recipe can also be made with cherry, maple, and pecan woods.
Slowly cook the bacon in the smoker until the sugar has melted and the edges are wrinkled. Place the bacon on a rack. Cook until desired crispiness is achieved. It will take approximately 25-30 minutes.
Can Candied Bacon be Made in the Oven?
Absolutely! This recipe will make smoked bacon candied bacon. However, you can also make traditional candied bacon in an oven by following the time and temperature guidelines below.
The cooking process is the same for most smokers, which circulates heat in a similar way to ovens. Each oven cooks at a different speed, so are careful not to burn your bacon.
Start By Curing The Bacon
1. Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and lay the bacon strips on it.
2. Cook the bacon for 18 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool.
3. Once cooled, crumble the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat until browned. Drain any excess fat and remove it from the heat.
5. Add the BBQ sauce, brown sugar, crumbled bacon, and diced onion to the ground beef and stir to combine.
6. Preheat your oven to 350°F degrees.
7. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and spread the beef mixture evenly in it.
8. Top with shredded cheese and chopped green onions, if desired.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
10. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Mix Together The Sugar And Spices
This is the base for the chai tea mix and what will give it its flavor. I usually mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and a pinch of ground black pepper. If you want a little extra spice you can add more ginger or cinnamon.
This is a good time to add in any extracts you have. I like vanilla or almond, but feel free to experiment with other flavors.
You can adjust the amount of each ingredient based on your taste preferences and how much chai you want to make. If you’re making this mix for a single cup of tea, mix only 1/2 tablespoon of each ingredient. For a large batch, mix 1/4 cup of each ingredient.
Next, you’ll need to add the dry milk powder and instant coffee powder to the mix. I like to use nonfat dry milk powder because it dissolves well and gives the tea a nice creamy texture. You can also use skim milk powder or whole milk powder. If you don’t have any dry milk powder on hand, you can use 2% milk instead.
Just add 1/2 cup of dry milk powder (or the equivalent in milk) for every cup of chai mix you’re making. For example, if you’re making a large batch of mix, you would add 1 cup of dry milk powder.
Finally, add in any extra flavors you want to use. I like to add a few minutes drops of almond extract for a subtle nutty flavor, or a hint of vanilla if I’m using pumpkin pie spice instead of regular. If you’re using chocolate chips, just mix them in until they are evenly distributed throughout the mix.
To store the chai tea mix, place it in an airtight container and keep it in a cool dry place. You can also portion it out into small individual servings and freeze them for later use.
Once you’ve finished mixing together your chai tea mix, all that’s left to do is to prepare your cup.
Coat The Bacon In The Sugar Mixture
Once the bacon candy is coated in the sugar mixture, bake it in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until it is golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately, either on its own as a savory treat or with some delicious maple flavor syrup drizzled on top.
Let The Bacon Cool Before Eating
Let’s go to the kitchen and see how long it took for the bacon to get cooked. Wow, you are right! It only took 30 minutes for the bacon to cook in this air fryer.
The smell of food cooking is so nice and it fills up the whole house very quickly with its delicious scent. What do you think we should do with the bacon slices?
You may be interested in these other recipes and guides: